Thursday, June 30, 2011

What's Old Is Young Again


I am in love with the Hailee Steinfeld for Miu Miu campaign, shot by Bruce Weber. It's genius, because it should look totally ridiculous- a 13 year old babydoll wearing the forties inspired and very adult clothes- and instead makes me want to watch Double Indemnity and buy Miu Miu heels (okay, so I already wanted to, but this helps).

On top of getting me to (want to) buy what they're selling, these ads take me back to one of my favorite periods of modern history, the 1940s and noir. The clothing silhouettes are romantic and sophisticated, the architecture was Spanish-inspired and warm (at least in LA), and the novels were over the top and cheesy (Mickey Spillane, anyone?) but full of such distinct style. Style. It's there.

Even if Miu is using a girl to sell me clothes that make a woman look like a woman, I'm there.


Out of the Past (1947)


Double Indemnity (1944)


Criss Cross (1949)

No comments:

Post a Comment