Monday, December 19, 2011

Chappy Chanukkah

What is up, my Jews? Who's ready to spin your dreidels?

For those of you who are gentiles and don't know, Hanukkah starts tomorrow. While everyone in America basically thinks Hanukkah is the Jewish Christmas, it's really not, and actually isn't even all that important in the almost unending procession of major Jewish holidays. But when you're a kid and collecting presents each night of the eight- or want to fit in with all of your tree-decorating, Santa's lap-sitting friends- who is going to complain about the semantics? Hanukkah to Jewish kids is the most important holiday in that sense, so I'm going to continue to celebrate it even though now I know better than to make it a big deal. After all, it's a lot harder to whip up a guide for that rollicking good time known as Yom Kippur anyway...

Right now I'm using an old menorah from my dad's house, but I don't love it. In fact, I hate it. I don't know that I've ever seen one I truly love 100%, but this menorah would probably be in my home if I had major funds to throw around right now.

I do have this collection of antique hanging oil menorahs that I display year-round and which are pretty special to me. Mark's inner pyromaniac wants to light them, but I'd rather not burn down the apartment building.

The most beautiful dreidel I've ever seen, available here in blue, clear, and orange. I would love to buy a few of these and scatter them across a mantle full of various decorations and menorah. 

The all important sufganiyot (jelly doughnut). So much better when homemade and eaten warm, here's a recipe to try if you're feeling ambitious. After growing up with a mom who would make them for us, I can't even bother with bakery versions.




Menorah via DesignSponge

No comments:

Post a Comment