Thursday, November 10, 2011

Merry Happy Whatever


Growing up Jewish but with a mom who converted from Christianity (with her own mom and grandma who wanted to bake their grandchildren gingerbread men, buy them stocking stuffers, and show them how to drape tinsel on a tree), I have always celebrated both Hanukkah and Christmas. It was definitely great in terms of fun and presents, but stressful because my dad was uber-paranoid my brother and I would get "confused" and forget we were Jewish. If only he knew I didn't believe in the message of either religion and only care about the traditions...

When I moved out on my own for the first time a month before the holiday season, I wanted to show how mature and together I was by sending out holiday cards. Because apparently I'm an old lady like that. But which holiday? I'm not looking to offend peeps when all I'm trying to do is tell them I care about them, so to keep things simple I go the P.C. season's greeting/peace on earth route, focusing on the design of my cards and the messages I write inside rather than on which holiday each recipient is actually celebrating. And let's be honest-I don't really know enough people to buy a pack for each holiday anyway.


Rifle Paper Co. card

No comments:

Post a Comment